Monday, November 8, 2010

Fix Yourself First





Fix Yourself First

This past week we saw political fortunes rise and fall. Depending on who or what ideal you supported you felt either elation or despair and it came with razor sharp turns and roller coaster ups and downs.

But how does all this really affect YOU? The sun came up the next morning, the lights, cable and cell phone all fired up. Children went to school, grown ups went to work.

As the son of two holocaust survivors I guess I witnessed resilience and flexibility. Both of my parents endured hardships I could not even imagine, yet came out of the war as two single people, met in a Displaced Person’s Camp, married, came to the US with no money, no education, no language skills…and raised a typical successful suburban family.

I guess I’m talking about putting the Tea Party/Progressive rift into perspective. Most of you know my politics from previous posts, and this blog is not going to be about that.

What I decided to do regarding the elections either way they fell was to start a rigorous exercise plan that I completed two years ago, P90X. You may have seen Tony Horton on late night TV doing his manic pitch for the DVD’s. Yes they could be called hype; but for me the results were amazing. Honestly, I have to tell you that this stuff works. You can go to my YouTube channel, DrNateMeansFitness and check out my weekly video blog on my journey. I got into the Zen of the daily almost impossible workouts; until they became possible around the third week and by the end of 12 weeks, I had a 30 inch waist, 44 inch chest and a six-pack where flab lived earlier. What made this even more amazing was..I was 58 years old when I finished. I’m a trim 60 years old now on this second round hope to build bigger arms and chest and boost my conditioning.

So what does all this have to do with the gut wrenching, family splitting election we just went through? Why did I bring up my parents and upbringing and then jump to an infomercial based exercise system? The answer is (for me anyway) ….When everything around you feels broken; Fix Yourself First.

A healthy self image, good nutrition, close friends and a kick ass body will negate anything Fox News can throw at you.

Have a peaceful week.

Nate Klarfeld

No comments:

Post a Comment